ENGINE CRANKS BUT WON'T TURN OVER

Toyota Camry

bill s

September, 4, 2007 AT 5:30 PM

1998 Toyota Camry with 75,000 miles. 4 cylinder. Car was in the driveway idling when I heard a loud sound coming from the pulley area of the belts. Then fluid started leaking from the same area. Turned the car off and the fluid continued to drain. Quite a bit of fluid. It was clear with an oily texture. Oil fine, antifreeze fine, brake and steering fine, transmission fluid fine. I was thinking a busted water pump. The car cranks well but won't turn over. Can a busted water pump prevent the car from turning over?

mhpautos

September, 4, 2007 AT 11:24 PM

Hi there,

Your water pump may have failed and damaged the engine timing belt. You will have to remove the timing belt covers and inspect for any damage.

bill s

September, 5, 2007 AT 9:32 AM

That is what I was thinking. Is it that the timing belt breaks first, then the water pump? Just curious.

I'd still like to know if anyone has other thoughts.

mhpautos

September, 5, 2007 AT 7:22 PM

Hi there,

If the timing belt failed it will not affect the water pump, it just won't drive it that's all, I feel that the water pump bearing has failed and collapsed, with this, the pump drive pulley will be miss aligned with the idler, cam & crankshaft gears/ pulleys and the belt has walked off or failed as a result.

bill s

September, 6, 2007 AT 12:53 PM

Thanks mhpautos. I appreciate your insight. I'll let you know the problem when I find out.

bill s

September, 10, 2007 AT 2:27 PM

Mark.

The waterpump busted, which in turn, tore-up the timing belt. 4 hours of labor isn't cheap. Damn.

Battery Replacement Guide
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006