2001 Toyota Camry Howling sound from exhaust?

TXMEDIC
  • 2001 TOYOTA CAMRY

Noises problem
2001 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

My car makes a loud howling sound when the RPM's get to around 1100, but only when the engine is warm. After the engine has warmed up, it will howl in park or going down the road. The check engine light is on and is giving the following codes: P0440, P0441, P0442 and P0446. All the codes say the problem is in the EVAP (Evaporative Emission System). One of the codes said the cause could be a defective gas cap, so I changed it with no luck. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Friday, May 8th, 2009 AT 11:41 AM

ZACKMAN

Please post your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for proper diagnostic from the TSB.

Sunday, May 10th, 2009 AT 1:06 AM
TXMEDIC

4T1BG22K91U863593

Sunday, May 10th, 2009 AT 11:31 AM
ZACKMAN

MIL ON DTC P0440, P0441 OR P0446

Reference Number(s): EG013-03, Date of Issue: September 29, 2003
TOYOTA:2000 - 03 Avalon, Camry & Solara; 2001 - 03 Sienna
SECTION:Engine Related Ref Number(s): EG013-03

Under certain driving conditions, some 2000 - 2003 model year Avalon, Camry (NAP only) and Solara vehicles, and some 2001 - 2003 model year Sienna vehicles may exhibit a M.I.L. "ON" with DTC(s) P0440, P0441 and/or P0446 stored due to an inoperative Canister Closed Valve Vacuum Switching Valve (CCV VSV).

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_camryclosedcanistervalve_1.jpg

Applicable Warranty
This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emissions Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date. For California, Massachusetts, Maine and Vermont, the Toyota Federal Emissions Warranty is in effect for 36 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

***I will email to the entire TSB***
The warranty has expired, but you may wish to call on your local dealership. They may perform the work under good faith.

Sunday, May 10th, 2009 AT 12:55 PM
TXMEDIC

OK, I know its been awhile, but the problem has not gone away. I changed the CCV VSV (part#90910-12199) located on the air box as the service bulletin recommended. The codes stayed off for about 60 miles, then p0441 and p0446 reappeared.

Any help would be great!

Tuesday, December 1st, 2009 AT 7:48 PM
DOCFIXIT

Hi
Both codes indicate faulty Evap Pressure switching valveVSV located near tank at charcoal canister see diagram

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_260.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Grafic_3_76.jpg

Did "howling stop"?

Friday, December 4th, 2009 AT 4:15 PM

The code you don't want to see is a P0442. This indicates the system has detected a SMALL leak, but small leaks can often be a BIG problem to find. By small, we mean a leak no larger than a pin prick! Such small leaks are virtually impossible to find visually, so a special tester called a smoke machine is usually necessary to reveal the leak. The smoke machine feeds a mineral-oil based vapor into the EVAP system under light pressure (no more than a few pounds per square inch). The smoke may also contain an ultraviolet dye to make it easier to see under UV light.

Fixing EVAP codes can be a challenge, even for professional technicians. And if you have a P0442 small leak code, you'll probably have to take your car to a repair shop that has a smoke machine.

Incorrect purge flow and vent control circuit-Check for a faulty purge control flow solenoid or a venting solenoid, and also check for inop. VSV between engine and canister

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_evap_2.jpg

+1
Friday, December 4th, 2009 AT 4:21 PM
TXMEDIC

No the howling did not stop. Can you please send me a larger image of the diagram that you posted? Its hard for me to see it because its so small. Originally I did have a P0442 code but it cleared when I replaced the canister closed valve near the air box.

Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 11:47 AM
2CARPROS MIKE
  • 712 POSTS

We are sorry the information we provided was not useful to you. We have refunded your donation per your request. I hope we can help you next time.

Monday, December 14th, 2009 AT 1:40 PM