HARD TO START THE COLD ENGINE

1998 Toyota Camry

old98camry

April, 21, 2008 AT 2:39 PM

1998 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 138000 miles

When the engine is cold, it's hard to start, I have to keep pressing gas to get it started after turn on the key, usually the initial idle speed is as low as 400 RPM, but once it's drived for a while, it runs well and could be started again easily. After more than 5 h parking, hard starting comes back. I have replaced ignition coil, valve head gasket, ignition wire and spark plugs, engine coolant temperature sensor, timing belt and water pump, nothing changes

1991 Hard To Start

Engine Does Not Stay Running

merlin2021

April, 21, 2008 AT 3:07 PM

It sounds like a bad idle air control valve, is your check engine light on? It may or may not be for this one, also you may have a vacuum leak, get a can of spray gumout, spray the vac lines and maniflod area, when the idle changes, youve found the leak! You want the engine running and spray on the outside but do direct the stream onto the hoses, if it is a vacuum leak, the engine idle will change speed, then you have detected a leak, repair the vacuum leak and see how it runs!
Check the PCV, if clogged it can do this.

old98camry

April, 21, 2008 AT 3:56 PM

Check engine light off, no error code was found

merlin2021

April, 21, 2008 AT 4:06 PM

IAC is hard to test but you can try unplugging, and re-plugging it, it may or may not improve.

old98camry

May, 4, 2008 AT 7:12 PM

After replacing Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, the problem was solved! A Toyota expert told me that this is a common problem for camrys.

Thank you!

merlin2021

May, 5, 2008 AT 2:38 AM

Your welcome!

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test