1998 TOYOTA CAMRY HARD TO START THE COLD ENGINE

• old98camry
  • 1998 Toyota Camry

1998 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 138000 miles

When the engine is cold, it's hard to start, I have to keep pressing gas to get it started after turn on the key, usually the initial idle speed is as low as 400 RPM, but once it's drived for a while, it runs well and could be started again easily. After more than 5 h parking, hard starting comes back. I have replaced ignition coil, valve head gasket, ignition wire and spark plugs, engine coolant temperature sensor, timing belt and water pump, nothing changes

Monday, April 21st, 2008 AT 2:39 PM

• merlin2021

It sounds like a bad idle air control valve, is your check engine light on? It may or may not be for this one, also you may have a vacuum leak, get a can of spray gumout, spray the vac lines and maniflod area, when the idle changes, youve found the leak! You want the engine running and spray on the outside but do direct the stream onto the hoses, if it is a vacuum leak, the engine idle will change speed, then you have detected a leak, repair the vacuum leak and see how it runs!
Check the PCV, if clogged it can do this.

Monday, April 21st, 2008 AT 3:07 PM
  • old98camry

Check engine light off, no error code was found

Monday, April 21st, 2008 AT 3:56 PM
  • merlin2021

IAC is hard to test but you can try unplugging, and re-plugging it, it may or may not improve.

Monday, April 21st, 2008 AT 4:06 PM
  • old98camry

After replacing Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, the problem was solved! A Toyota expert told me that this is a common problem for camrys.

Thank you!

+1
Sunday, May 4th, 2008 AT 7:12 PM
  • merlin2021

Your welcome!

Monday, May 5th, 2008 AT 2:38 AM