1997 Toyota Camry Repair

CKLAUS12
  • 1997 TOYOTA CAMRY
I took my car in for right & left CV joint (half shaft) repair.
After the repair, I noticed a noise that sounded like my car had a jet engine.
When I took it back to the mechanic. He said that the bearing & seals in the right side now needed repaired.
I asked if the half shaft repair caused the bearing & seals to go bad. Of course, he wouldn't admit anything!
Can you tell me if the half shaft repair could have damaged the bearing & seals?
Thanks for any help !
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 11:00 AM

STEVEW84
What bearing and seal? Are you talking about the wheel bearing? If you are, then I would guess maybe. It depends on what happened when they were doing the axle.
-1
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 8:05 PM
CKLAUS12
Yes, the wheel bearing & seals where the new half shaft was replaced. I thought that they should have paid at least half the cost since they could have caused this to need repaired!
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 8:34 AM
STEVEW84
Why did you have the axles replaced. Was it because the cv boots were ripped?Were the axles making a clicking noise? Because if they weren't then the boots could have just been replaced. Not sure how they got the axles out. Never really heard anything about a wheel bearing noise after axles being replaced unless they really beat on the axle hard to get it out of the hub.
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 11:56 AM
CKLAUS12
Both CV boots were totally ripped and oil (lubricant)was all over the place! I never heard a clicking noise. Only a whirring. Like a jet engine. Which they said a bad wheel bearing will make. I had to go in again today to pick up a tire valve cap that they forgot to put back on. So I asked if they would at least pay half. OF COURSE, I got an infatic, "NO!" The manager said that Firestone has machines that are calibrated to set the torque and specifications are set on the machines, so that all parts are set accordingly. I said, " I understand about the machines, but the mechanic can make a mistake!" To make a long story short.I have to pay the $600 bill!
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 11:53 PM
STEVEW84
So did you hear the noise before or after the axle replacement? It probably would have been cheaper just to relace the boots on your vehicle, other than to replace the axle. So this is my personal opinion on this. The wheel bearing was probably on its way out the door anyway, but they were the final nail in the coffin for it to show up. This is my guess. They either did not torque the axle nut at the right torque(which you do not use a machine for, you use a torque wrench) or they beat on the axle out of the hub so hard they might have damaged the bearing a bit. That is just my guess of what happened. This is why I don't trust most tire stores to do actaul repairs. What do they primarily do? I'll tell ya, TIRES.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 7:07 AM