1991 Toyota Camry Free Play in Steering While Driving

• 1 POST

Steering problem
1991 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 103485 miles

I just drove 400 miles today and half way to my destination, I felt like the car was weaving a little bit or the steering wheel had too much play in it. I had the oil changed, tires rotated and they did an overall check and said the car looked ok to them. I know my car is old, but I have always kept up the maintenance and have the oil changed every 3 thousand miles. I had to have the power steering thing replaced. Don't know exactly what it's called but maybe rack and pinon was mentioned. This was done about 1 year ago.

I am now afraid to drive the car at all. Don't know if being a woman and 65 years old has anything to do with it, but I am really worried now. I won't get my social security check until later this month, so a big car repair bill is out of the question right now

Please help. Thank you.

Friday, May 9th, 2008 AT 8:38 PM

Hi there,

I would get the steering rack reinspected. And make sure that the mounting brackets are tight. Have the Tie rods ends inspected, and the steering shaft to rack pinion checked. Your problem may be here as these are the main items undone when the steering rack is removed. Start here and if the problem is sill evident contact me by I.M.

Saturday, May 10th, 2008 AT 1:06 AM