INSTALLING

1989 Toyota Camry

landair48

July, 17, 2010 AT 11:07 AM

1989 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Having trouble getting the pilot to get " home" in the crankshaft pocket. Last time a little jiggling did the trick. This time, it's been a couple of hours. Motor and trans are hanging separately from 2 come a longs, and motor and trans end mounts both fastened; she just won't snap home that last 3/4 inch.

4 Wheel Drive

1 ANSWER

mhpautos

July, 17, 2010 AT 11:56 AM

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

Had the torque converter been removed? It may not be fully located in the transmission.

landair48

July, 17, 2010 AT 12:02 PM

Yes, but it's fully back in. The gap is between that and the ring gear.

mhpautos

July, 17, 2010 AT 12:10 PM

The only thing that will stop the boss entering the ring gear is if it has a burr or it is some what rusty, that is about all that will stop it if the alignment is ok,

mark (mhpautos)

mhpautos

July, 17, 2010 AT 12:12 PM

Just had a second thought, if this is a different trans or engine, just make sure that there is not a dowel pin stuck in the block and one still in the trans, I have seen this before,

mark (mhpautos)

landair48

July, 17, 2010 AT 12:25 PM

I'll check. This is the same transmission, I just replaced the front seal and am putting it back together. So there's a dowel pin that may be out of line or crooked in there? The blockage is in the center of the crank/ converter where the two go together. The engine and trans are pivoting there and they won't slide " home".

mhpautos

July, 17, 2010 AT 7:56 PM

If it is the same engine / trans set it will not be an extra alignment dowel, I would be checking the boss is not damaged or burred causing this hang up.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Wheel Bearing Hub Replacement
Wheel Bearing Replacement
CV Axle Replacement