Vibration/shudder

TBSINTEX
  • 2005 TOYOTA 4RUNNER
Six cylinder two wheel drive automatic 139,000 miles.

My vehicle will shudder when shifting at thirty to thirty five mph during a low speed acceleration. When accelerating at a higher speed, no problem. Feels like driving over a rumble strip. Has sealed transmission, dealer says need new transmission and will not attempt to diagnose or fix.

Any thoughts of what is going on and what fix is recommended?
Tuesday, January 5th, 2010 AT 3:46 PM

An engine misfiring can be caused by worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak spark (weak coil, bad spark plug wire), loss of compression, vacuum leaks, anything that causes an unusually lean fuel mixture (lean misfire), an EGR valve that is stuck open, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or even bad fuel.
+2
Tuesday, January 5th, 2010 AT 8:38 PM
TBSINTEX
There is no problem with the engine, vibration is in the transmission. Engine runs fine without any hesitation.
Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 9:05 AM
Sounds like you have no options here but replacing the transmission. Or you can try this-check and test the TPS, VSS and CTS sensors. The computer uses these signals as an indicator of throttle and governor pressures and overdrive which in turns command and control the up-shift/downshift/overdrive/lock-up etc.
+1
Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 2:53 PM
C130BUM
I have the exact same issue with my 2005 Toyota 4Runner LTD, V6, 146000 miles, no engine trouble at all, but it vibrates as if going over a rumble strip at thirty to thirty five mph with very light acceleration. Faster acceleration causes the shifting to appear normal. Just noticed it yesterday. Was there ever an actual finding to this original posting? I have had a substantial amount of trouble with this vehicle (purchased new) including both front bearings wearing out at 40,000 miles, alternator stopped working at 37,000 miles, air-conditioning evaporator quit at 65,000 miles, a few of the dashboard lights stopped working at 42,000 miles, catalytic converter quit at 112,000 miles, two wheel sensors needed replacing at 52,000 and 108,000 miles, CD player quit working at 44,000 miles. I treat the vehicle very well, and always have it repaired when there is an issue, but I have about had it with all the problems with this vehicle. It looks new, but obviously, mechanically, it is getting tired. I never abuse the vehicle, and I am religious about its maintenance schedule. Would the transmission really be on the fritz even though I take great care of the vehicle?
+3
Sunday, December 26th, 2010 AT 11:26 PM
C130BUM
I was able to fix the issue with my 2005 4Runner LTD 4x4 regarding the strong vibration (as if going over a rumble strip) with light acceleration. I put a one ounce bottle of a friction enhancer in the sealed transmission and the issue was solved. I was initially told that I needed to replace the transmission, then it was the torque converter. The bottom line is, the transmission was serviced with other than WS fluid and the viscosity did not match what was needed. The friction enhancer stopped the torque converter from shuddering (torque converter shudder) and it has been fine through 205,000 miles. It took a bit to find the transmission plug to pour the friction enhancer into, but the transmission has worked great ever since.
+13
Friday, November 29th, 2013 AT 6:06 PM
SAUNJON
Help! Just started having the same issue. 2006 4R Sport V6. Rumbles around thirty mph for no reason. What product did you use for the friction enhancer? Thanks!
+3
Thursday, December 18th, 2014 AT 12:14 PM
DNARDI212
I have the exact same problem as the others; 2005 V6 4Runner with 176,000 miles on it. Feels like running over rumble strips when going about thirty to forty five mph and have foot lightly on gas pedal. Other than that the truck is running perfectly. engine is powerful and smooth, shifts perfectly, rides beautifully.

First I changed the transfer cased fluid thinking the problem was in there, but that did not solve anything. After reading a lot of other suggestions I decided to simply change the transmission fluid in my transmission. Toyota says there is no need to service these transmissions, but they are definitely wrong. There is a drain plug in the bottom pan and there is a fill plug on the passenger side towards the back of the transmission. This alone tells me Toyota had originally planned on making these serviceable. When I drained the fluid it was clearly spent; it came out like black thin fluid. The new stuff I put in (Toyota brand ATF-WS type https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CTUSEMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) was red and a little thicker. It certainly needed to be changed.

On the first ride out I could tell it was so much better. No rumble and still shifting smoothly, definitely the solution to this problem. I was going to change the screen inside, but I did not have a new gasket so I did not chance taking the pan down and tearing that. But I will definitely purchase a new screen and gasket, and take the transmission pan down. This way I can check the magnets in the bottom of the pan as well.

It was a quick job to just change the transmission fluid maybe an hour. Putting the truck up level on jack stands takes longer than actually changing the fluid. I recommend this for anyone having the same symptoms as described above.
+8
Monday, January 2nd, 2017 AT 7:46 AM
KEN
Hey DNARDI212,

Thanks for the input to the thread!

Best, Ken
Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 12:14 PM
DIAMOND4
  • 2006 TOYOTA 4RUNNER
About a month ago I started feeling a vibration when doing between thirty to fifty miles an hour, it occurs every so often, about a week ago it started occurring more frequently. Two days ago the check engine light came on along with the VSC TRAC and the symbol of a car sliding and it has been on for two days. Could that be the cause of the vibration and what can this do to the vehicle?
Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 12:19 PM (Merged)
DR. HAGERTY
Speculation is possible yes. The fact that the check engine lamp is lit means something in the drive train is setting a fault and probably this fault, if related to the vibration, could be due to some transmission issue and not an emissions issue. As to the cost, it will certainly have to begin with a diagnosis fee, usually an hour, so $100.00 to start with, where it goes from there will depend on the fault. Impossible for me to go further with this at the present time and with the information presented.
CYB3RTRAD3R
  • 2000 TOYOTA 4RUNNER
Six cylinder two wheel drive automatic 135,000 miles.

First, When I put car in drive from park, a jolting/ loud noise comes from under car but drives fine until forty mph then vibrates violently when speeding up and even worse for a few seconds when I let off the gas but when I coast it all stops and is quiet and normal sounding. The second I hit the gas again it starts shaking and vibrating again. It has been doing this for about three months now and the longer I let it go it seems like the worse it gets. I am in the market for a new car that is the only reason I do not have it looked at because the problem "sounds" expensive.
Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 12:20 PM (Merged)
MMPRINCE4000
It sounds like a transmission problem, either a torque converter problem, lockup solenoid, bearing.

You will most likely have to go to a transmission shop and have a diagnosis performed.

Check fluid level in transmission (engine running) and make sure it is full, other than that it would be best to have it professionally diagnosed.

Some chains have been offering a free diagnosis, do not know if any are still doing it, but shop around for the best diagnostic price.

Once you know problem, you will be in a better position to take next step (have used trans. Installed, have it repaired etc.).
PLSCHRADER
  • 2001 TOYOTA 4RUNNER
My car vibrates briefly at twenty mph. As soon as I pass that speed it stops. If I accelerate quickly I can convince myself it is not there. It scares me to think it might be transmission related.
BOBBYTECH1
Does it pull to one side when you let the steering go? Check your tires first belt could be shifted. Remind you if the rear tire is out of round it may not cause the car to pull to one side but it will vibrate or dance at low speeds.