OIL CONSUMPTION ON THE CYLINDER HEADS

2000 Toyota 4Runner

scottts63

December, 12, 2008 AT 8:50 PM

2000 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

I'm researching to buy 4Runner in the 2000 model year. I noticed on this web page [http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1996-to-2002-toyota-4runner-6.htm] a report that 1996 thru 2001 4Runners have "Excessive oil consumption caused by sludge buildup on the cylinder heads. Company is extending warranty.". What was the cause of this problem? Do 2002 engines not have this problem, so would I be better off buying a 2002? Any other common problems that I should be aware of, when considering a well maintained 4Runner? Have also observed negative catalytic converter comments on some comment web sites. Persons paying $1K plus labor for replacement of each. I suspect there is $200 aftermarket part available. Would you buy clean condition 4WD 4Runner for highway only use in great lakes snow belt area?

racefan966

December, 13, 2008 AT 9:09 AM

Ok when considering buying any new vehicle look it over good. Call around and find a shop that will do a look over and check to see if there are any forseeable problems, most shops will charge for this. Get a KBB or NADA report on the vehicle your looking at too. If a dealer or individual has a problem with you taking it to be looked at the you need to move on as there is something they don't want you to find out. As for the KBB or NADA this will let you know what the value of the vehicle your looking at to help you not pay to much. As for the oil problem this was on the right hand side it was a head gasket issue that was also a recall so the repair was done for free. So with that if you call the dealer (toyota in this case) and give them the vin number of what you looking at and ask if there are any open recalls on it. If there is this doesn't mean pass the vehicle up because the repairs are done for free on a recall, but it lets you know what has and hasn't been done. Ask questions and lots of them about maintenance a well maintained vehicle is ussually a happy vehicle. Also don't be afraid to get a look under it at the u-joints and drive axles up front to broken boots and so on. Check the doors for worn hinges etc. Look it over good. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Thanks and Have a great day.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota