ENGINE KNOCK

1995 Toyota 4Runner

greenontan

Engine problem
1995 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 291000 miles

Driving my 4runner at 60 kmph notice a loud rattling. Pulled over and saw the oil pressure was extreemly low so I put 3qt of oil in. Now the rattling has stopped but it is making a very very loud knocking when idling and started, and when accelerating the knocking quickens and becomes even louder. I pulled the spark plugs 1 by 1 and the noise seems to be comming from the piston/cylinder on the passengerside closest to the dash. Anyone know if it's even safe to drive to a shop or should it be towed? And what could the problem be? The noise is just a very loud knock as if something is hitting something else in the engine.

merlin2021

Sounds like either the wrist pin or connecting rod bearing, lack of oil wipes out bearings FAST! Don't be surprised to find more damage! Cannot say if it will get you far.

greenontan

Do you think it would be safe to drive to a shop, or should it be towed? It runs fine aside from the loud knocking

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado