1991 Toyota 4Runner Temp gauge gets hot when idling and goe

HANGTOWNKID66
  • 1991 TOYOTA 4RUNNER
Hey gang I've worked on cars for years but recently I bought a 1991 4runner with a v6 every thing has been maintianed to a t how -ever driving to work I notice when I got in stop and go triffic the temp gauge climbed to the red I reved the motor to 2000 and the gauge went back to 1/2 has anybody had this problem if fill me in. I'm guessing fan cluth but dont want to throught money at it. Thanks
Thursday, December 31st, 2009 AT 8:05 PM

Its climbing to the red zoner are you boiling over or overheating, check and test the engine temperature gauge/sender and coolant temperature sensor, also make sure the clutch fan is working properly.

When engine is fully warmed-up the clutch fan should have resistances and does not turn freely
Friday, January 1st, 2010 AT 2:39 AM
HANGTOWNKID66
Thanks guys to your quick respounce. No the truck is not boiling over or losing coolant. I stuck a rolled up magazine to fan when temp showed high and fan stopped easy also when I turn off motor the fan was still spinning free. I'm thinking bad fan clutch because it does cool down to 1/2 when I rev motor to 2000. Thanks let me know if you guys agree
Friday, January 1st, 2010 AT 2:29 PM

Sponsored links