Tire

CARS7171-
  • 2004 FORD ESCAPE
Hi is it possible for cupped rear tires to cause a "thump thump thump" sound? It sorta sounds like a flat tire
Sunday, April 10th, 2016 AT 2:32 PM

Absolutely. Cupped tires are telling you it's past due for a 4-wheel alignment. Broken belts in a tire can cause thumping too.
Sunday, April 10th, 2016 AT 2:33 PM
CARS7171-
How would I go about checking for broke belts?
Sunday, April 10th, 2016 AT 2:48 PM
Broken belt on the front will cause a steering wheel shimmy that is usually easiest to see when driving slowly, as through a parking lot. On the rear you'll typically feel the seat moving back and forth sideways.

A really badly broken belt can be seen as a hump on the tire's tread. When you see that, do not run your hand over it. Steel belts will usually be sticking out and those REALLY hurt when the wires poke you.

Less noticeable belts are found by running the vehicle in gear on a hoist. You'll see the tread squirm or wobble sideways as the tire rotates.

For the hardest belts to find, you need an expert at a tire and alignment shop. The tread surface will appear to be fine as the tire rotates, but you have to look at the bottoms of the grooves in the tread. When the belts start to come apart, that hump on the tread I mentioned grows slow enough for the outer tread surface to wear down as you drive on it. That's why the road contact surface looks okay.
Sunday, April 10th, 2016 AT 3:19 PM