TICKING/MARBLE NOISE IN ENGINE

1993 Honda Civic

jbum

May, 19, 2013 AT 4:34 PM

I'm hearing this noise consistently when driving my car. It's of course more noticeable when I driving next to a divider wall but I can usually hear it faintly even when I am in the open. So the following are the times when I hear this noise.

1. From a decently high rpm (3K+), when I let go of the gas pedal.
2. Every time I rev and let go of the gas pedal to shift to the next gear (very similar situation as #1)
3. Under load (going uphill or low rpm in a gear), the harder I press on the gas the more I hear this noise.

It sounds like a high pitch tick. I though it was pinging at first but I'm not sure. I don't know if I can capture this noise well in the car with all the other noises (road, engine, tire)

If anyone can give me a clue as to what this may be, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

May, 19, 2013 AT 4:52 PM

Have the motor checked for an internal failure. It may be a lifter, rod or main bearing

jbum

June, 26, 2013 AT 9:50 PM

Thanks for your response. Selling may have determined what it could have been.
On my way up from LA, my car suddenly died while I was driving on the freeway. It was as though someone just pulled the plug. I tried changing gears thinking one of the gears wore out but I realized that the engine stopped running.

After a couple of painful days, I found out that the timing belt snapped. It was a repair I have meant to get to but had not found the time for over a year with a lot of miles adding up on the car.

Anyway I feared the worst thinking the valves were bent and I would have to say bye to my car. I took a chance and had it repaired hoping for a miracle. Luck was on my side and I was spared any valve damage, at least nothing that the mechanic or I could notice. It's actually running very well..

Now on to my point. I don't hear the ticking-like noise during acceleration or deceleration. Does a worn timing belt cause such a noise? What cause the noise?

Thanks.

Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz