Ignition key wont turn

STONE228
  • SUZUKI

The ignition key wont turn from the lock position on my suzuki swift gti, automatic transmission. Someone said it could be something in the gearbox that needs adjusting? Ok I got the key to turn by wiggling the steering wheel and pulling slightly. What could cause that? Is there something that needs adjusting?

Sunday, September 2nd, 2007 AT 2:39 PM

BOBACHGILL

You don't need to adjust anything. The reason the key won't turn is because the steering wheel is putting pressure on the locking mechanism that keeps your wheel from turning when the key is turned off.

See this guide to help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/ignition-switch-wont-turn-stuck

You did the right thing... if the key won't turn just take the pressure off the steering wheel lock by pulling the steering wheel one way or another until the pressure is removed and the key can turn freely.

+6
Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 AT 6:04 AM
SYDPINMAN@YAHOO.COM

Same problem with my Suzuki Swift RE Manual 2010. I jiggle the steering wheel and it still doesn't release the ignition switch. I've had to start using the key to start the car. Any help would be appreciated.

Friday, July 28th, 2017 AT 11:15 PM
2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like the ignition interlock relay is out. here is a wiring diagram and a guide to help you run a simple test.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Saturday, July 29th, 2017 AT 1:59 PM
SYDPINMAN@YAHOO.COM

Thanks Ken, I'll get hold of a test light and let you know the outcome. I did discover something interesting yesterday, sitting in the car unable to get it keylessly started, I found out that if I hit Lock and Unlock on the car remote, the ignition switch could easily be turned on.

Saturday, July 29th, 2017 AT 4:15 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Sunday, July 30th, 2017 AT 11:27 AM
SYDPINMAN@YAHOO.COM

Hi Ken My elecronics expert neighbour arrived today with his test gear. He said before we start I want you to replace the battery in your remote. I told him it was a brand new battery. He said it doesn't matter, just put a new one in, I changed the battery and you wouldn't believe it problem solved. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Cheers
Phil

Thursday, August 3rd, 2017 AT 10:00 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers, Ken

+1
Friday, August 4th, 2017 AT 1:28 PM