SQUEALING NOISE ON COLD START AND MAX STEER

2004 Subaru WRX

jeremymilo

January, 30, 2010 AT 1:10 AM

Steering problem
2004 Subaru WRX 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual 67000 miles

On recent cold mornings, before the car is warm, there's a bad squealing noise coming from the engine area when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the side. The steering wheel pulses and jerks in my hands until I let it spin back towards the center. After the car warms up, the problem goes away. Here's a video of what the noise sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVKDKlE1wec

Jack42

January, 30, 2010 AT 8:12 AM

Does it do that with the wheel in either direction?(Left or right). May be apump issue or even a rcak and pinion. Will it make the noise if the wheel is straight when started cold or does it have to be in a turn? Start by inspecting the belt condition and tension. May just be slipping until the rubber gets warm a little and can grip the pulleys

jeremymilo

January, 30, 2010 AT 11:03 AM

I inspected the power steering / alternator belt, and I didn't see any visible damage or signs of wear. It felt a little loose so I tightened it a bit.

The noise I reported has stopped, which is nice. Any warning signs that I should watch out for at this point?

Jack42

Loss of power assist in either direction (Left or right turns) is usually an indication of a rack and pinion going bad, but if it is all good, then the loose belt was probably the problem. When you go full turn, the pump goes to max pressure, that is when it drags the most and a loose belt will make noise

Engine Oil Change and Filter Mazda 3
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford