THUMPING NOISE WHEN TURNING RIGHT

2002 Subaru WRX

sgnimmer

April, 11, 2010 AT 8:57 PM

Suspension problem
2002 Subaru WRX 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual 86000 miles

I have been getting a rhythmic noise, which sounds like it's coming from the drivers side wheel area when turning right. It is a rhythmic thumping noise that seems most noticeable when making a right sweeping turn with the wheel at about 30 degrees and at about 50mph. I don't notice anything through the steering wheel and maybe only slightly through the pedals.

I tried taking a video, which can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdo4p2hRzOU
the noise comes in at about 8 seconds to 13 seconds.

I think I can still hear it when doing a similar turn at a lower speed (around 30mph). It seems most prominent around 50mph.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thumping

81 Thumping Noise

April, 11, 2010 AT 11:59 PM

Hi sgnimmer, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Inspect the drive axle's boot and CV joints to include steering knuckle components

sgnimmer

April, 19, 2010 AT 4:31 PM

Over the weekend I replaced the entire CV Halfshaft Assembly with a new Cardone unit. No luck the noise is still there.

Any other ideas?

sgnimmer

April, 20, 2010 AT 8:01 AM

Just to add, I seem to notice the knocking more now. Especially on the freeway I can usually hear it on the drivers side whenever I turn the wheel a little right.

April, 22, 2010 AT 12:32 PM

Check the steering assy and rack and pinion

sgnimmer

June, 7, 2010 AT 12:52 PM

I finally got around to replacing the wheel bearing, tie rod end, and ball joint. The problem is now gone. There seemed to be too much play in the ball joint, so I'm guessing that was the issue.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Kia Rio
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe