2008 Subaru Outback cold start problem

HOVIG
  • 2008 SUBARU OUTBACK
2008 Subaru Outback 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic

Engine will not start or VERY difficult to start when outside temperature is very cold. Once it starts it runs fine and will start after warm-up.
Tuesday, January 27th, 2009 AT 4:08 PM

Has the check engine light come on? Have you had the fuel pump pressure tested? Is the temp sensor working properly?
How many miles are on it because this may be emission related and is covered for 5 years or 50K with a 0 deductable.
Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 2:46 PM
HOVIG
Thanks for your response.
This car is new with only 2500 miles. Engine light does not come on, and the dealership mechanics cannot find the problem, and said there are no problem codes. But the car will not start or is very hard to start when outside temperature is below 30deg.
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 1:07 PM
Have they attempted to replace the temp sensor? If not, they may want to try that. Also, since the car is new, I would demand they repair it or replace it. Contact the district manager for Subaru and explain the problem. The number for your area will be in the back of the owners manual or warranty manual. If they can't fix the problem, they owe you a car that will start in the cold. Especially a Subaru that is famous for it's 4wd ability. Hell if it doesn't start cold, what good is it. Also, I don't know where you live, but if you live in an area that is cold, that would be another arguement.

Let me know what happens, and don't wait to call. Document everything that has been done (reciepts from dealer), and tell them either fix it or replace it.

I know that sounds extream, but you paid a lot for the car and deserve one that runs all of the time.

Let me know what happens, or if I can help in anyway.

Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 2:03 PM
HOVIG
Thank you Joe. I will follow your advice, and I will let you know once I am satisfied with the outcome.
We live in Colorado, and you guessed it. It does get below 30 deg in the winter time!
Hovig
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 3:13 PM