FUEL PUMP

1998 Subaru Outback

gougie2001

October, 25, 2010 AT 7:37 PM

1998 Subaru Outback All Wheel Drive Manual 138000 miles

1 year ago almost to the day, I put a new fuel pump in my Subaru. And it's been great until the last 2 Sundays. I live in the mtns. And the weather has gotten cooler. Last Sunday night I filled up my car, 2 hours later started a cold car and drove about 45 minutes when it started getting slower and slower, sputtering and cut off. Then sputtered and ran roughly when I tried to start it, and after taking the cover off the fuel pump, heard it running and went and started the car. Drove 2 more hours straight - no problems. And no more problems all week long. (Work in a warmer climate at a lower elevation). Then a week later, Sunday night again, filled up the car during the day, left for out of state job 3 hours later (night and colder) drove 45 minutes and did the same thing. When I when in the back to listen to the fuel pump. The fuel pump started working I heard some gurgling from the fuel pump and then it started. No more problems, drove 2 hours perfectly. Running perfectly. What's up? Do I need another New fuel pump?

October, 26, 2010 AT 4:16 AM

Check the fuel pressure if its within specs if okay-power the fuel pump direct from the battery and observe its behavior if the problem continues to occur could very well be the fuel pump going southbound

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test