HEAD GASKET REPAIR

Subaru

rlpent

December, 17, 2006 AT 11:25 AM

I have a 1998 Legacy wagon 2.2L engine with 134,000 mi. I believe it needs new head gaskets. What's reasonable cost of this repair?

jesse777

December, 17, 2006 AT 12:02 PM

Please describe the symptoms so we can offer our opinion on diag, before we condemn the head gasket.

rlpent

December, 18, 2006 AT 10:57 AM

Current issue is that it's overheating. Coolant is circulating so I discounted the water pump. Last time it was in shop -- for wheel stuff -- they said slight oil leak, may need new head gasket. So since I was already warned that it may be coming, thought it might be that.

jesse777

December, 18, 2006 AT 12:26 PM

Thanks for the follow-up,

Under what driving conditions does the overheat exist?

Does the cooling/radiator fan come on when it should?

Have you ruled out a defective thermostat

rlpent

December, 18, 2006 AT 1:48 PM

It goes to hot almost immediately once engine is warmed up. Have not checked thermostat since doing that involves pulling all that other stuff.

Fans come on, belts are tight.

psylosyfer

March, 18, 2007 AT 3:37 AM

If a head gasket is blown, usually you will have water in the crankcase (oil), or water/ steam coming out the exhaust, or both.
Also you can get a pressure tet done by a shop to be sure.

Scubaru

March, 19, 2007 AT 12:15 PM

Usually on a Subaru when the head gasket goes the only symtoms you will have is some oil residue in the coolant over flow bottle followed by intermttent high temp gauge readings and finally intermittent overheating. If you have ever had one apart or looked at the gasket you would see the area that is the weakest is in between the cylinders and the cooling jacket. The pressure of the combustion chamber is much stonger than the pressure of the cooling system. Thus allowing exhaust gas, pressure and tempature into the cooling system. Without any signs of water in the oil or steam out the tailpipe

Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8