'96 Outback won't start when hot

JSJOYCE
  • 1996 SUBARU
I have a '96 Subaru Outback wagon w/ 175,000 miles. It always starts right up when it is cold, however, if I'm out & about running errands w/ several stops & starts when it is hot, it will not start. I usually have to wait 15-20 minutes and then if I'm lucky it will start.

A mechanic is checking it out now, but they've already verified there's nothing wrong w/ the starter. They're looking at the fuel line.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
John
Wednesday, November 8th, 2006 AT 10:18 AM

KENDER
I've encountered this problem with a few Nissan Pulsars. It was the coolant temperature sensor located by the thermostat housing. I know this info isn't specific to a Subaru, but it might still help

Cheers
kender
Thursday, November 9th, 2006 AT 3:11 PM
JSJOYCE
Thanks Kender, I'll have my mechanic check that out.
Thursday, November 9th, 2006 AT 3:24 PM
KIT
JOHN,
IF YOUVE HAD THE PROBLEM FIXED PLEASE POST IT. MY 250T DOES THE SAME THING.
Monday, January 22nd, 2007 AT 6:50 PM
JSJOYCE
Yes, we finally had this properly diagnosed & repaired. Of course, the paperwork is in my car and I can't recall the exact type of sensor that needed replacing (for $400), but the problem was that the sensor was making the car think it was at a higher altitude. At least that's the 2nd-hand explanation I got via my wife.

I'll try to post something more accurate when I get a chance.
Friday, June 29th, 2007 AT 8:55 AM
THEGID
John,

I've got a very similar problem and would like to know exactly what type of sensor needed replacing. See if I can get it fixed this weekend. Please see if you can make some time to review the paperwork.

Thanks a lot.

. Sanjay
Saturday, June 30th, 2007 AT 10:20 PM
JSJOYCE
Hi Sanjay,

Sorry, but I just got back from a brief vacation. The repair invoice indicates the "pressure sensor" was replaced.

John
Wednesday, July 4th, 2007 AT 5:01 PM
WRX246
Replace your Cam & Crank angle sensors & car should start finw after that. They are known for doing that. Thanks
Friday, August 3rd, 2007 AT 3:57 PM
BARTBOPP
John,
When you said it wouldnt start, did it even turn over? I have the same problem that happens occasionally with a 98 outback. It doesnt even turn over at that point. If I wait till it's cool, then it starts just fine.
Thursday, June 12th, 2008 AT 1:35 PM
JSJOYCE
Yes, it would turn over. And if I flicked the ignition switch very quickly, it would start. Sometimes I would have to sit & wait a few minutes and then it would start.

We've since donated our Subaru, so it is somebody else's problem now! :-)

John
Thursday, June 12th, 2008 AT 1:41 PM