IMPREZA RS AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

2003 Subaru

tlusto

January, 10, 2006 AT 8:32 AM

My 2003 Impreza RS with automatic transmission has 87,000 miles and is making a whining sound on acceleration, but not when coasting. My mechanic, who has always been honest with me before, I says that I need a new transmission and that there is no way to repair subaru automatic transmisssions. If this is true, can I replace with a manual tarn which I would prefer? Can I continue to drive the car even with the whine? Do I really have to REPLACE the AT? :

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

fizzak

January, 21, 2006 AT 9:16 AM

I find it difficult to believe a Subaru trans would die at 87k, but its possible the previous owner did not take care of it. Even then, on a non-turbo model, it is hard to ream on a car with such little horsepower. How someone could even drive 87k in 2 years is beyond me.

Did you check the fluid? Put the car on a level surface warmed and slowly shift through all gears, then check the trans fluid while the engine is running. The fluid should be bright red, if its dark or murkey have it chenged immediately.

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars