LEAKING OIL

1988 Subaru

gcann61

December, 20, 2008 AT 1:00 AM

1988 Other Subaru Models 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 16000 miles

Head gasket appears to be leaking fresh oil under motor mounts on both sides of engine. No lose of colant and engine oil checks fine. How extensive is this repair and can it be ok for it to leak oil till repaired? Also when replacing gaskets, what would be advisable to do as I assume the engine most likley has to be pulled out for repair?

Thanks for replay

Oil Leak From Engine

mhpautos

December, 20, 2008 AT 1:30 AM

Hi there,

I would wash it down and have a good look at the rocker cover gaskets first, head gaskets leaking oil on these engines is not that common, check this out first to be sure of the diagnosis.

gcann61

December, 20, 2008 AT 11:51 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I did replaced and the valve cover gaskets and the oil pan gasket. The engine had to be lifted to access rear oil pan bolts due to the motor mounts in the way during the replacement of oil pan gasket.I did notice excess oil on the motor mounts and at first thought is was oil pan leak, but after new oil pan gasket replace and motor are cleaned it is still leaking above motor mounts and dripping onto the front engine motor mount support bracket. The last seal closets to the engine looks like it is half there and I assume this is the head gasket. My next step is to get the black light dye to add to oil after cleaning motor.

Question is how long can the engine run this way and is there something to add to the oil to help stop the leak?
Also does the engine need to be pulled to repair gasket? If so, should other engine work be done at that time?
Or is it better to not spend the money and trash the car?

Thanks for your advise

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front