TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY REMOVAL

1998 Subaru Legacy

Mike Frew

May, 2, 2010 AT 2:09 PM

1998 Subaru Legacy 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual

I am attempting to remove both tail light assemblies from my car without destroying them. I have removed the nuts from 4 studs on each assembly, can locate no more, however, the assembly still will not break loose.

Am I missing one or more studs/screws somewhere? What is the standard procedure for removing one of these assemblies?

Is there any " tricks" to employ? I am thinking that the rubber gasket may be " baked" on. I have tried tapping the studs lightly (did not want to break the plastic housing) but it did not come free.

May, 3, 2010 AT 10:54 AM

Hi Mike Frew,

Thank you for the donation.

There are 2 types of gaskets used.

One is the stick on type sealant which requires some force to slowly get the sealant to come off.

The other type is the sponge-like gasket type and it should be easy to come off.

Yours seems to be the sealant type and you would have to slowly force one side out and use a scraper to cut the sealant to remove.

Side Marker Bulb Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Headlight Bulb Replacement Volkswagen Jetta