1995 Subaru Legacy

Tiny
JESSTHESHARK
  • MEMBER
  • 1995 SUBARU LEGACY
Noises problem
1995 Subaru Legacy Automatic

I was told my catalytic converter has a hole rusted through and this is why my car sounds like an airplane. I was told I could continue driving my car in this state and no damage would be done to the car. Is this harmful FOR ME to be driving my car in this condition?
Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Saturday, December 27th, 2008 AT 7:08 AM

5 Replies

Tiny
RASMATAZ
  • MEMBER
Yup! Its harmful and you're polluting the enviroment also the downstream O2 sensor is giving the computer the wrong info needed to adjust fuel accurately.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Saturday, December 27th, 2008 AT 7:14 AM
Tiny
JESSTHESHARK
  • MEMBER
How is it dangerous to me or the passengers in my car?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Saturday, December 27th, 2008 AT 7:20 AM
Tiny
RASMATAZ
  • MEMBER
That carbonmonoxide will creap in there if your vehicle is not sealed THINK! It might not kill you but make you drowsy and lose control of the vehicle and inclusion you won't get pass the state emission smog test. Anything else? Be safe than to be sorry later-that's all am trying to say.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Saturday, December 27th, 2008 AT 7:26 AM
Tiny
JESSTHESHARK
  • MEMBER
Alright, attitude.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Saturday, December 27th, 2008 AT 11:03 PM
Tiny
ABD141
  • MEMBER
I'm have a BS in chemistry, so I can explain the catalytic converter. It contains certain metals that break down carbon monoxide and several other compounds due to electron exchanges taking place on the surface of the catalyst. So carbon monoxide is converted to carbon dioxide and aldehydes are broken down as well. The problem with a hole in the converter, other than the airplane sound is that these chemicals which are toxic to humans are being released, and directly underneath you when driving. If idling at a stop light or in a garage, the fumes are coming directly into the cab. Usually a converter will go bad after a while due to sulfur poisoning but the hole is going to cause the same effects of a bad converter. Lower fuel effiicency and high pollutant release. You should probably replace it, but due to the value of the metals in the converter (platinum, palladnium, rhodium.A few others) it will be very costly. Mine usually run at around $700, But I've found ways to clean them myself. Wouldn't recommend it without a chem lab though.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, January 6th, 2009 AT 11:29 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides