Stuck in park

MIKE OLIVEIRA
  • 1987 FORD F-150
I have had my truck for a eleven and half years now. I had a problem soon after I bought it the ignition switch felt gummy and something broke and could not shut the truck off (do not jerk on the coil wire on a snowy day with your bare hands, do not ask me how I know). So I found a steering column and put it in. Now a year later it had the same gummy feeling and something broke. It will not go to the start mode so I hooked up a wire and switch to the solenoid and it started up ☺. But it would not come out of park. Grrrrr. Took the steering wheel off and I am not sure what I am looking at.
Wednesday, January 11th, 2017 AT 2:37 PM

STEVE W.
Sounds like the lock actuator is broke. When you turned the key and it felt "gummy" that was likely the lock actuator (made of pot metal) failing. The actuator is now stuck in the shift flange and won't let the shifter move and will not let the key turn very far.
The problem parts can be accessed by stripping the steering column apart and replacing the failed part.
This video might give you an idea on what to look for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ekFWcUuIuw
Picture below is likely the failed part.

google - Ford f150 steering column lock actuator
and select videos, lots of them to watch and get an idea how the column comes apart for the repair, and "alternate" methods as well.
-1
Wednesday, January 11th, 2017 AT 9:28 PM
MIKE OLIVEIRA
To Steve W. Your exactly right. I got in a pinch took the steering coloum apart. Didn't see anything while steering wheel was off and various other plasic things. I'm an old school shade tree mechanic at best. 1987 fairly new for my blood. Anyway I took the coulmn into the shed and poke and prodded. Still nothing. Then a slime piece of metal hit the floor. Made me about half mad because I was in learning mode and I didn't get to see where the darm thing come from. I'm on the road again, less cruise control and the horn. But the signals cut off by themselves now. Thank you Mike
Sunday, January 29th, 2017 AT 7:30 PM
STEVE W.
You're very welcome. I started under a Maple myself.

Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com. Tell your friends, family and anyone you like about us and please return with any auto related questions, we're here to help.
Sunday, January 29th, 2017 AT 9:35 PM