Steam blowing out of the heat and air vents

BOOLADOG
  • 2002 FORD F-150
When I turn on my heater or air conditioner I can see steam blowing out of the vents. Does my heater coil have a leak or what might be the problem? Thanks, Jay
Tuesday, November 15th, 2016 AT 4:37 PM

JIS001
If there is steam coming out then it looks like the heater core is leaking. Check for coolant under the passenger dash and see if there is coolant leaking out from behind the firewall. You may need to fill the system up with water and pressure test to see the leak.

Here is a link for coolant leak detection.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-is-leaking-coolant
+1
Tuesday, November 15th, 2016 AT 4:58 PM
BOOLADOG
There is no coolant leaking inside the truck.
Tuesday, November 15th, 2016 AT 6:08 PM
Another possibility is a heater hose (loose/ cracked) as it enters the heater core, this would maybe let coolant still get on the outside of the heater core and steam.

Look for the presence of radiator juice at or dripping from the A/C condensation drain (firewall).

The Medic
Tuesday, November 15th, 2016 AT 6:20 PM
BOOLADOG
Theres no coolant leaks inside or at the firewall hoses going to the heater core. Is it possible that I need to replace the core or the blender? My heater just blows cold air now. Today, I replaced the thermostat and flushed the radiator out. Thanks
Sunday, November 20th, 2016 AT 5:14 PM
KEN
Does the steam smell? If not the air conditioner could be low on charge which will cause ice vapor much like your home freezer due to the excessive drop in pressure inside the evaporator core. .

Here is a guide to recharge it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/air-conditioner-how-to-add-freon

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Sunday, November 20th, 2016 AT 5:19 PM