My engine is not starting?

SKYCHI
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
Car will not start and when I turn the car on there is a clicking noise from behind the glove compartment. What could it be not making it start?
Sunday, February 25th, 2018 AT 7:15 AM

PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
I am assuming that is the PGM-FI Main Relay which is shown in this diagram.
It runs the fuel pump.
Can I assume the starter is cranking over but the engine just will not start?
I will assume your answer is yes, so first check the fuses #31, #13 in the under dash fuse box and #44 in the under hood fuse box. If they are all okay, try a new PGM-FI Main Relay.
+1
Sunday, February 25th, 2018 AT 7:42 AM
SKYCHI
Is this something I can/should buy myself and install myself? Or should I tow it to the mechanic and have it done professionally.
Sunday, February 25th, 2018 AT 9:09 AM
PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
That depends. Try what you can and if you cannot do it, then decide what to do from there. If you know how to check fuses and/or replace relays then by all means go ahead and do that. If there is something that you cannot do or need help in doing, let me know.
Sunday, February 25th, 2018 AT 9:20 AM
SKYCHI
The black box is what is clicking and the circled item. Is that the main relay?
Wednesday, February 28th, 2018 AT 9:51 AM
PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
They are both clicking? Have you tried disconnecting the wiring plug to each, starting with that item that you are pointing to, which appears to be that PGM-FI Main Relay and listen if the clicking goes away?
Wednesday, February 28th, 2018 AT 10:01 AM
SKYCHI
Oh so the black box is the main relay? Thats the only thing that clicks when I turn the car on. Do I unplug it from where I put the arrow?
Wednesday, February 28th, 2018 AT 10:19 AM
PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
Yes, unplug it there.
If it stops clicking after unplugging it, go ahead and check those fuses I mentioned earlier and if they are all ok, try a new PGM-FI Main Relay
Wednesday, February 28th, 2018 AT 10:44 AM
SKYCHI
Thanks for your help but it was the ground wire under the thermostat housing wasn't on tight. Tightened it and it works.
Friday, March 2nd, 2018 AT 7:00 PM
KEN
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, March 5th, 2018 AT 1:02 PM
MARK43
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
I drive this car everyday, this has only happened a couple of times. While I am out running errands I turn the car off do what I got to do. When I go back to the car and start it it will crank and crank but will not start. If I let the car sit about five to ten minutes and then try to start it it will start right up. One day a week or so ago I was in traffic and the car completely shut off on me. I pushed the car off the road, once I got the car off the road I tried starting it and it started right up no problem. I have replaced the plugs and wires the fuel and air filters and the fuel pump earlier this year. The battery is only like a year or year and a half old.
+1
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 11:11 AM (Merged)
Hi and thanks for using 2CarPros.

Considering it only happens on and off, that makes it more difficult to diagnose. When it refuses to start, chances are either you are losing spark or fuel to the engine.

First, take a look through this link. It discusses conditions that will prevent an engine from starting. Also, it explains what to check for and in some cases, how to repair.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Since the issue is random and the car eventually starts, I suspect it may be ignition relates. However, that is a guess at this point. When it refuses to start, see if the engine will start for a couple seconds using starting fluid. If it does, then the problem is fuel related. If it still does not try to start, then suspect ignition.

Here are two links. I mentioned the starting fluid truck because it is quicker and easier. However, here are directions for testing for spark and fuel.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-ignition-system

_______________________

Now, if there is no spark, I suspect there is a crankshaft position sensor. However, the sensor on this vehicle is located in the distributor.

If the check engine light is staying on when you run the engine, then you really need to have the computer scanned. Here is a video that shows how it is done:

https://youtu.be/YV3TRZwer8k

If you scan the computer and find a P1359, then it is related to the aforementioned sensor. I attached a flow chart for diagnosing this code.

I hope something here is helpful. Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care,

ACORCIONE
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
1998 Honda Civic DX. I start car in the morning, drive to work no problems. If I shut the car off, it won't start again, it will trun over but not start. I have to wait about 3 hours and it starts as if nothing was wrong. This happens all the time. If I drive somewhere (anytime of the day ornight) and I shut off the car, it won't start again until until 3-4 hours later.
KEN

IT sounds like you have a engine coolant temperature sensor that is going out. These sensors may or may not trigger a check engine light. This is a guide top show you what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/coolant-temperature-sensor-cts-replacement

Check out the location of the sensor below

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers, Ken
ACORCIONE
That did it! You guys are the best. I love this site saves me cash every time I am here.
+1
BEAUTYSUROUNDSME
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
Wasnt a Smart move I know!

I drove about 20 miles on with extremly low gas, and lately its been running great, But then the other night it wouldnt start, so I dont know what to do!

Any Suggestions on fixing it?

thanks!

Jacki

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/74490_Image0055_1.jpg

Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 11:12 AM (Merged)
BRUCE HUNT
Determine if the car is getting spark and fuel. Given the age of the car it is possible that the fuel filter should be replaced. You need to start with spark and fuel.
BEAUTYSUROUNDSME
Ok new update! Got it fixed turned out it was the distributor!

Thanks guys!
ROYMICHAEL
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
Start fine when cold, when warmed up, have to crank for 10 minutes, changed fuel filter, seems to have fuel pressure, cleaned plugs, cap and rotor, ohmed injectors 12.5 each, have signal at injector, checked for spark, seemed pretty strong, car runs pretty good when running, no miss at 6000 rpm, shut if off though won't start until it cools down.
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 11:17 AM (Merged)
BLACKOP555
When vehicle won't start bleed fuel out of the fuel rail. Once rail is bleed try to cycle key a few tikes to get fuel back into the rails. Does this cause it fire up?
ROYMICHAEL
Have loosened bolt at fuel line, fuel sprayed out hard, not sure where you are going with this answer. Don't suspect a few delivery problem when it will rev out fine without any kind of miss, scanned it today has an o2 sensor problem which I will replace tomorrow but that shouldn't cause a no start problem, just pulled a plug out and it is light tan, looks normal.

Sponsored links