Smoke from Steering Column - Help!

KAORIMANZ
  • 1998 VOLKSWAGEN POLO
I have a VW Polo from 1998 and lately a little bit of smoke has been spontaneously coming out from the steering column just behind the steering wheel. Should I be worried? Have you seen or heard about anything like this before? Would you reckon it's a minor electrical problem or? Any advice is appreciated!

This has only happened three times, and each time I was in a different driving scenario, so I can't understand myself why this would be happening.

Please let me know if it's anything to worry about!

Many thanks,

Kaori.
Thursday, October 24th, 2013 AT 12:42 AM

EXOVCDS
Remove the steering wheel and the switch assemblies. Then clean out the switches with compressed air. Dust & dirt causes the switches to short out, which causes the smoke.

Replace the switches if the circuitry is burnt too much.

Thomas
+1
Thursday, October 24th, 2013 AT 9:34 PM
EXOVCDS
Once you let too much smoke out, things will no longer work and worst case, a fire could start due to melted wires.

Thomas
+1
Friday, October 25th, 2013 AT 4:28 PM
MHPAUTOS
Any smoking is a bad sign, make sure that there is no damage, if in doubt replace the switch.
Monday, October 28th, 2013 AT 3:51 AM

Sponsored links