Shifting cable replacement

CINDY LONG
  • 2005 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
How to replace shifting cable?
Wednesday, January 24th, 2018 AT 4:17 PM

STEVE W.
Did the cable break or just become disconnected (very common due to the plastic bushings failing, you can get just the bushings if the cable is still okay)?

Remove the set screw that retains the shift knob, then remove the console assembly. Now remove the four screws that secure the trans bezel. Now you can see the cable end. The cable just snaps onto the pin on the side of the lever. Remove the nuts that hold the grommet cover in place. Now open the hood, remove the air box, the battery and battery tray. Release the ball socket on the transmission end of the cable and release the cable from the bracket. Now you need to jack up and secure the vehicle and remove the converter heat shield from the tunnel area (the cable runs behind it). Drop the cable out of the chassis and remove it. Replacement is the reverse with the exception that you have to adjust the new cable. You do that by loosening the adjuster screw on the shift lever. Then after making sure the transmission is in park and the shift lever is in park you tighten the adjuster screw back down.
+2
Thursday, January 25th, 2018 AT 4:12 PM
ARLENESALA
  • 2007 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
My shift goes from park all the way to drive without stopping in between. I was told it was shifter cable. We checked on top transmission not messed up there so we figure it's at shift but I cannot get console off.
+1
Friday, October 5th, 2018 AT 4:55 PM (Merged)
See pics for console removal and cable /shifter.
SAMMYGIRL
  • 2002 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
A friend of my sons replaced my shift cable today but he cannot get it to go into park or reverse,
what is wrong?
The cable needs to be adjusted see pic
+1
TOFFER99
  • 2007 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
I have a 07 PT cruiser had a broken shifter cable we replaced it and it won't shift into park the cable doesn't push far enough forward I can reach in and push it the rest of the way but it won't do it on it's own. Is there a way to adjust it or does it need to be in a certain gear.
First, make sure the cable is properly routed and not kinked.

If okay, then:

You need to first remove the shifter handle. There is a set screw on the shifter lever. Remove that and the shift handle will come off. Next, you need to remove the center console and the shift cover. Once that is removed, you can see the shift cable. There is an adjuster on the side of the cable. See pic.

Now, place the gear shift lever in park. Loosen the shift cable adjuster screw. Verify the transmission shift lever is in PARK. Tighten the adjustment screw to 70 inch pounds.

Let me know if this helps.

+4
BUTCHH
  • 2003 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
Dealer wants $210 for shifter cable. Isn't their some kind of replcement bushing/clip or whatever availble, the rubber boot is missing
Friday, October 5th, 2018 AT 4:56 PM (Merged)
Usually there are clips on the end that hold the outer piece in place. If those are broken then they can be replaced but the cable housing may have broke from one of these areas.
+1
JIM SHIRLEY
  • 2007 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
  • TURBO
My wife's car started to be difficult to put into park. During the extreme cold last week I pushed the car into park and the shifter broke free. The shifter would move freely without changing gears. I took the center console apart and discovered the shift cable was off the shifter. While I was reconnecting the cable I noticed that the plastic shifter assembly where the cable sits was broken. I have order a new shifter assembly due here by Friday. Should I also replace the shift cable as well? And how do I do that correctly? I have a very limited budget ( eight KIds, down to one car).
If the cable moves the shifter on trans by hand and hasn't broken out of holder at eithr end then you should still be able to use the old cable so check that first. We have nothing to show on cables and shifter however.
-2