2002 SEAT IBIZA AC SOMETIMES WORKS AND SOMETIMES DOESN'T!

• lex lopez
  • 2002 SEAT Ibiza

Air Conditioning problem
2002 SEAT Ibiza 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 75000 miles

My AC works fine when the temperature outside is not to hot. When the weather temperature is under 90 °f the AC works fine, in fact I plug a pressure guage at the high terminal of the ac system, and it was about 300 psi, but when the weather temperature is over 100 °F the AC system start to fail, it works and then stops. The pressure in the high terminal rises over 390 psi and then it stops. When it cools down, the pressure falls and the it starts again, but the pressure raises again and it stops once again. My car has two fans for the radiator and the ac system, and they work fine,
So what could be the problem. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 12:53 PM

• Jack42

Thats way too much pressure. The safety pressure switch is shutting the system down to prevent damage. You need to check your low side pressure. It should be around 40 psi idling with a/c on, low side should be around 225.

Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 7:54 AM
  • lex lopez

My low side is about 35 psi with a/c on.

As you said the safety pressure swith is shutting the system down. Some time before I almost discharged all the system out of gas, and the pressure in high terminal still was very high. What can be happening?

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 12:44 PM
  • Jack42

Sounds like some kind of restriction. Check the orifice tube, could be the expansion valve too

Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 2:42 PM