PROBLEM ACCELERATING

2008 Scion tC

nicor5390

August, 11, 2010 AT 5:48 PM

2008 Scion tC 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 39000 miles

After I shift into gear I go to accelerate and the rpms will go to just about redline and the car will not accelerate with it. If I keep on pressing the gas while this is happening it will eventually catch up to itself and be fine. But if I release the gas while the rpms are increasing and then press it again when the rpms lower the car will accelerate fine. Please help me try and figure out what the problem is because I did bring it to a mechanic and they said it was the clutch but I dont see how.

mmprince4000

October, 4, 2010 AT 9:14 AM

Yes the clutch is slipping, they usually make a really bad smell when they do.

Clutch life is totally dependant on driver habits.

Holding the car on a hill with clutch is one example, it will overheat the clutch and cause it to fail.

But from your description the clutch disc is slipping. It is also possible the assembly is binding, but you will have to remove clutch in any case.

If the clutch is failing, it would slip. During gradual acceleration, there is sufficient grip to get the required torque to move the vehicle.

Hard acceleration would result in slipping as the clutch is not able to get the required grip onto the flywheel to provide the torque necessary to move the vehicle. If the process is repeated for extended periods, the clutch would start to smell like something burning.

After vehicle is moving, depress the clutch and race the engine to 4000 rpm, quickly release the clutch in 4th gear. If the clutch takes a long time to catch, it is bad.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado