When it rains the windshield wipers do not work

SEANWINN
  • 1995 SATURN SW2
Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic

The windshield wipers of my car stop working whenever it rains. Do I have a short of some kind somewhere? This is driving me nuts, as we are having a very rainy spring here in Spokane, WA. And I am driving around looking through a wet windshield all the time. Thanks so much for any help you may be able to give.
Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 11:11 AM

SATURNTECH9
First of all thank you so much for your donation. I have never seen a wiper stop working only when it is raining. So if you were to leave the wiper's on for a few minutes when it is not raining they would work fine? Also, if it was raining they would not come on at all?
Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 1:06 PM
SEANWINN
Hi there. What you replied is exactly correct. The wipers work perfectly in sunny and dry conditions. In the rain, no dice. I have also seen other anomalies in the behavior of the radio, the transmission, the radiator fan, and the temperature gauge that make me think of something in terms of the electrical system. I was hoping you had maybe heard of other Saturn's having a similar issue. I can poke around under the hood looking for any obvious wiring harness damage, etc. I basically cannot afford to take it to an auto electric specialist, that is why I contacted 2carpros. If I do figure it out, I will reply to the forum so that others may be able to fix their issues. I really appreciate your quick reply, and was glad to donate, even though it was not very much. Best I could do at this time. Sincerely, Sean W.
Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 4:50 PM
SATURNTECH9
So what does the radio, radiator cooling fan and transmission do when it rain's? Might be easier to trace one of those problem and maybe find the wiper problem as well.
Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 9:40 PM
SEANWINN
Hi Louie. The other problems do not have a correlation to the wet as far as I can tell. The radio will just intermittently not work sometimes, then I turn the car off and back on, and it is there again. The radiator fan lately has been running all the time, even though just did a flush and refill, and all fluid levels good. I think I will replace the ECTS, and that may take care of that. Sometimes the temp. Gauge will just run away hot, turn car on/off, back to normal. After longer drives, transmission will not work right, it will not shift at all when accelerating. Pull car over, turn on/off, back to normal. Yesterday after receiving your first reply I went out to test wipers, it had been raining all morning. I started car up, pushed down on wiper lever for the one-time wipe, the wipers went up and back down one time and then no more. (Water running off windshield and down into area at base of window shorting something out?). Anyway, I really do like the car, and cannot even begin to have the resources to get something else, so I want/need to keep this one going. Thank you very much Louie.
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 10:28 AM
SATURNTECH9
If your cooling fan is staying on all the time without your A/C being on because with your A/C on your fan stay's on all the time. I would swap your cooling fan relay with another one that is the same part number and see if your fan turn's off. Then I would change your coolant temperature sensor. The bottom one operates your fan also make sure you get a brass tipped one the plastic tipped one's crack. Make sure your car is cold you will loose coolant. Also, inspect the connector going to it if it is corroded replace the connector as well. When there corroded they turn blue or green. On your radio that could be a ignition cylinder or switch issue. Do you have any trouble code's in the computer? As far as your wipers go you will have to do some test's when it is raining and there inoperable should be not long, lol my sister lives in Washington. Rain's all the time up there. I emailed you some information on your wiper motor to your personal email. I think you could have a bad wiper motor but test it first.
-1
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 7:34 PM