STALLING

1998 Saturn SL2

GM1979

June, 1, 2010 AT 9:08 AM

1998 Saturn SL2 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 219000 miles

To Saturntech9:

I replaced my Crank Shaft Sensor and checked the condition of my Coolant Temp Sensor harness. Harness has no corrosion. Besdies, if I'm not mistaken, this sensor leads to my temperature gauge at my dash. Needle moves as temperature rises. I test drove it and it stalled again. Problem still exist. Can it be the IAC valve? Stuck EGR? I can prevent my vehicle from stalling if I use BOTH feet, one on the breaks and my other on the gas pedal. As we know, this can be dangerous and does not " fix" my problem. Why does my car continue to stall when I come to a complete stop?

ps: Please refer to my first question to reiterate my vehicle problem.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

saturntech9

June, 1, 2010 AT 12:13 PM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/416332_1997_sc2_iac_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/416332_1998_sl2_coolant_temp_sensor_ohms_chart_1.jpg

Yes your coolant temp sensor sends a signal to your temp gauge but it also sends a signal to your computer. To tell it what temp your engine is so it can make you engine run richer or leaner depending on what temp your engine is.I posted a coolant temp chart take off your coolant temp sensor connector when the car has sat over night cold take a ohms meter across the two terminals of the sensor find the temp by the ohms on the chart.On the end of your air intake tube there is your ambient air temp sensor looks just like your coolant temp sensor take that connector off do a ohms reading on that sensor too the readings should be pretty close to your outside air temp and your coolant temp.I had a another person who had a similar problem he got a brand new bad coolant temp sensor we will rule that out with this test.I also posted a diagram of where your idle air control valve is its number 7 in the diagram.Take it off and clean the end of it with carb cleaner also there is a opening in the bottom of your throttle body opening that hole leads to your idle air control valve spray and clean that out.If your egr valve was sticking that usually sets a code.Could you check and see if you have any codes now since your last post?I don't know yet whats going on with your car so we will just have to test these things and see where it leads us.You don't have a scanner do you?If you do does it read live engine data?Let me know what you find