1997 SATURN SL1 TRANSMISSION SLIPPING

• wawwy10
  • 1997 Saturn SL1

1997 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 98000 miles

My 97 saturn SL1 slips in reverse when the car is warmed up but does not when it is cold. Could this be the filter or old oil, I have no idea when they were changed.

Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 10:08 AM

• saturntech9

So when you say it slip's in reverse do you mean it delay's when going into reverse before it get's into reverse?Also do you have any code's?What color is the transmission fluid?

Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 11:32 AM
  • wawwy10

When it is cold it goes right into reverse. After it warms up it does not " clunk" into reverse but if I give it a lot of gas it will move. I have no codes. The color looks normal (reddish).

Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 1:17 PM
  • saturntech9

It sound's like a loose input shaft nut that's the first thing I would check. You would have to drain your transmission fluid and remove the transmission end cover. The big silver clutch pack under the cover is the first gear clutch pack and also the input shaft and the nut that need's to checked for looseness. That nut would be pretty loose to cause you to have to gas it to go into reverse.I don't think the second gear piston is leaking since you don't have a transmission code's.

Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 1:42 PM