SATURN SL1 STALLS AND SOMETIMES WONT START BACK UP!

• JRotten98
  • Saturn

I have a '96 Saturn SL1 with 39k miles that keeps stalling. I start it up and 20sec later it shuts off. Like someone turned the key off! No engine light comes on. I can hear the fuel pump prime/come on. I do hear a click coming from the dash, maybe a relay, when it shuts off? If I let it sit for a little while, it will start back up and be fine for the rest of the day. Yesterday it didnt start back up and when it finally did it stalled again. The tow truck driver suggested I had bad gas. He said Hess, BJs, WalMart have tons of additives and dont work well in some cars. Any thoughts?

Saturday, November 24th, 2007 AT 11:36 AM

• merlin2021

I know Saturn had problems with crankshaft sensors, they would not funtion when hot and return to normal when cold. Car will not restart, warm engine.

Saturday, November 24th, 2007 AT 12:34 PM
  • JRotten98

Wouldnt I get an engine code? If the crank sensor fails when it gets hot, why would the car have worked fine the rest of day? (Until yesterday anyway)
How much of a pain is it to replace the sensor?

Saturday, November 24th, 2007 AT 7:23 PM
  • merlin2021

Not unusual for CPS not to throw a code. Not hard to replace, 1 bolt holds it on!

Sunday, November 25th, 2007 AT 9:05 AM