REAR DRUM BRAKE ADJUSTMENTS

2000 Saturn

mysaturnsl1

December, 28, 2007 AT 6:09 PM

Brakes problem
2000 Other Saturn Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

In replacing the rear drum brakes shoes on my Saturn SL1 I discovered that the slot on the backing plate that is normaly used to access the "star" adjuster to adjust the brakes is not located directly behind the star adjuster onb either the drivers side or the passenger side of the vehicle.

On my vehicle the star adjuster faces to the right as you face the brakes with the drum off. As well it points toward the rear of the vehicle. While the slot on the backing plate is located 1 - 1 1/2" to the left of the star adjuster. This doesn't make sense to me. Both drivers and passenger side in the rear have the same concern. It seems that the emergency brake lever located to the right on the drivers side facing the brakes is as it should be so I do not think things were installed incorrectly. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated as I can't adjust the brakes through the rear of the backing plate like normal as things are at present unless there is a very unique brake adjustment tool for this application. The attached picture is of the drivers side rear drum brakes. It shows the star adjust would be facing the lever on the adjuster and to the right or rear of the vehicle. Also towards the emergency brake adjustment lever.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/135656_Im001204_1.jpg

merlin2021

December, 28, 2007 AT 6:14 PM

No I use a small flat blade screwdriver, this will reah into the adjuster, practice makes perfect! Best way is to set a preliminary adjustment by sliding the drum on and off, making adjustments until the drum slides on with no play! Turn the starwheel from the front!

Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly