IGNITION CONTROL MODULE??

2002 Saturn L300

gnhsmom

November, 14, 2009 AT 8:54 AM

2002 Saturn L300 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 77000 miles

This problem started a few weeks ago by not starting one time. I waited a few hours and it ran fine for a couple of weeks. My first gut was that it needed a new battery. Since the car started back up I didn't think much about it and kept driving it. Then it started dying when I was idling at a stop light or so. We had it diagnosed as a fuel problem but the injector looked okay - we replaced the fuel filter and put in a gas tank additive. This seemed to work for a couple of more days. Then it started dying again - one night it died for good and it was diagnosed as the ignition control module and a very dry battery. They didn't know how to work on a Saturn. We called the auto parts store and here is where our confusion begins - they had a left and right ignition control module. We tried another store and they stated that Sautrn doesn't have an ignition control module. What is the equivalent part name?

saturntech9

November, 15, 2009 AT 11:19 AM

There saying theres a left and right because its a v6 and it has two coil packs one for each bank of cylinders. Does it even try to run on even one bank of cyclinders?Its just hard to belive that both coils went bad at the same time. What I have seen alot was the crankshaft postion sensor going bad on them causing the the car to dye out and when they cool down and restart then one day just not working anymore if there faulting the ignition then I would check the crankshaft postion sensor. If u get a scan tool that is able to read engine data display then scroll down to engine rpm and crank the engine over while watching the rpms if it always reads 0 and never moves while cranking u have a bad crank sensor. Let me know what u find.
Louie

Replace Ignition Control Module