JERKS WHEN SHIFTING

2006 Saturn Ion

sparky305

June, 21, 2010 AT 11:33 PM

2006 Saturn Ion 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 69000 miles

I have a 2006 Saturn Ion 4 dr sedan with a 2.4 L. I have just recently replaced the air filter, coincidence or not, and had my engine light come on. In the same trip in my car I began experiencing jerky shifting. On my way home I decided to stop by Autozone to have then read my codes. Unfortunately my wife discaded the paper with the code analysis. It was associated with the timing. She continued driving the car for a couple days and the engine light was no longer on. I continue to have a shift problem. It shifts hard when shifting into a foward gear from neutral or park. It also shifts hard under most any degree of acceleration. I looked over the mounts and see no obvious issues.

saturntech9

June, 22, 2010 AT 12:21 AM

Could you go back to auto zone and see if you can get those code's number's from the car without them I don't really know where to start. Let me know what you find.

sparky305

June, 24, 2010 AT 10:06 PM

I was able to return to Autozone and they scanned the codes. The printed ticket reads as follows: Troubleshooting P0011
OEM Brand: General_Motors

Definition
-Intake camshaft position (CMP) system performance bank 1

Explanation
-The ECM has detected the desired camshaft position and actual position do not agree - Bank 1

Probable cause
1.- Open or short cicuit condition
2.- Mechanical condition with CMP actuator
3.- Failed CMP actuator solenoid
4.- Low oil level

The engine light has since returned but for one entire day now (approx 80 miles of city/hwy driving) we have had smooth shifting.

Thank You.

saturntech9

June, 25, 2010 AT 7:33 PM

I emailed the trouble tree for code p0011.

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima