Home | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help 2CARPROS COM INC
2CARPROS COM IN00005
Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference Component Search:
2004 Saturn ION L4-2.2L VIN F
Vehicle Level Body and Frame Technical Service Bulletins All Technical Service Bulletins Body - Water Leaks Onto Passenger Driver/Floor Area
Body - Water Leaks Onto Passenger Driver/Floor Area
Subject: Water Leaks Into Front Driver and/or Passenger Foot Wells Near Front Speaker Grill Area After Sustained Heavy Rain (Seal Speaker Drip Cover to Speaker Frame)
# 03-08-44-012A - (04/19/2006)
2003-2006 Saturn ION
This bulletin is being updated with additional model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-44-012 (Section 08 - Body & Accessories).
Some customers may comment that the front foot well carpet is wet after the vehicle is exposed to sustained heavy rain.
After sustained heavy rain, water may accumulate between the speaker frame and the speaker plastic drip cover. The accumulated water may wick through the lower speaker attachment bolt hole and run down the inner door panel and leak into the interior compartment under the doorsill trim plate.
Remove the drip cover from the speaker frame and apply KENT(R) HIGH TECH SEAM SEALER - CLEAR TRANSPARENT, or equivalent, to the back of the speaker frame where the drip cover contacts the speaker frame following the procedure below:
1. Remove the side front door trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Side Front Door in SI or the appropriate Saturn ION Service Manual.
2. Remove the speaker.
3. Remove the drip cover from the speaker frame by unsnapping the four locking tabs on the cover near the fastener holes.
A small flat head screwdriver may be needed to pry back the cover.
4. Apply a 1/4 in (6 mm) bead of KENT(R) HIGH TECH SEAM SEALER - CLEAR TRANSPARENT, or equivalent, around the speaker frame where the drip cover contacts the back of the speaker frame.
5. Install the drip cover to the speaker frame.
6. Install the speaker.
7. Install the side front door trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Side Front Door in SI or the appropriate Saturn ION Service Manual.
8. Repeat the process for the other front door.
9. If the carpet near the door speaker on either side is wet or has a musty mildew odor, or moisture is present under the carpet, pull back the carpet to allow fresh air to dry the carpet and padding. A small fan may be used to aid in the drying process.
10. Verify that the musty mildew odor is gone and the carpet is dry. If the carpet still has a musty mildew odor, refer to Eliminating Unwanted Odors in Vehicles in SI or the appropriate Saturn ION Service Manual. There's the water drips out by the speaker grill.
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 2:36 PM