Red steering wheel lit up warning lights

IVAN AZCUE
  • 2005 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA
I was driving my car with no problems until I stopped then when I restarted the vehicle a red steering wheel light appeared on my instrument cluster. Can I still drive the vehicle? Will it cause any damage?

I understand my vehicle does not have power steering fluid it's a motor hooked up to a computer module and it runs off gears.

There is not much information on the Internet regarding fuses relays wiring diagrams or where to even start.

any suggestions?
Thank you

it has been raining heavily could something have gotten wet?

also is there anything in the market I could buy that's equivalent to the vagcom?
Wednesday, May 8th, 2019 AT 8:16 AM

KEN

Yes, the red wheel means you have a problem with the steering system. probably the angle sensor or steering motor going out. to be sure you need to scan the system this video will show you how:

https://youtu.be/u-4syLc-ifQ

Here are diagrams and instructions on how to change out the module and steering sensor

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
+1
Thursday, May 9th, 2019 AT 1:31 PM
IVAN AZCUE
Hi Ken, thanks for the information I'm waiting on a Foxwell nt650 to arrive it states it will help calibrate the SAS system.

Meanwhile, I was trying to take the steering wheel apart and noticed it will not turn at all. It's pretty much stuck. I don;t want to force it, I made sure the wheel isn't lock, it is still a bit loose but definitely can't turn it. Should I or can I still remove it without having to turn the wheel?

I ordered a wheel angle sensor hoping that's the issue. Would there be any other sensor in the steering column I should look at?

Any idea why the wheel wont turn?

Thanks a lot for the help.
Thursday, May 30th, 2019 AT 6:42 PM
IVAN AZCUE
I was messing with the steering wheel cover and it's actually broken. So I was able to pry it open and I can see what I believe is the angle sensor.
Saturday, June 1st, 2019 AT 10:22 AM
IVAN AZCUE
Pictures.
Saturday, June 1st, 2019 AT 10:27 AM
KEN
The sensor is under the steering wheel which needs to be removed to replace the sensor but you should be able to turn the wheel. I am wondering if the steering motor is lock up? Can you please shoot a quick video with your phone so we can see what's going on, that would be great. You can upload it here with your response. Let me see you trying to turn the wheel please.
+1
Saturday, June 1st, 2019 AT 12:30 PM
IVAN AZCUE
With the cover off I was able to remove the airbag. I stopped there since I didn't have the tool to remove the steering wheel bolt.

If the motor can lock up I think it did. What does that mean? Can the angle sensor still fix that?
Saturday, June 1st, 2019 AT 4:54 PM
KEN
Yep, the steering motor looks like it is locked up. Let keep taking it apart to see what you find. Do you need any other diagrams or?
+1
Tuesday, June 4th, 2019 AT 10:01 AM
IVAN AZCUE
Yea please. Would that be the whole rack we are talking about?

I'll need a starting point, so yes on the diagrams. Thanks
Tuesday, June 4th, 2019 AT 10:55 AM
IVAN AZCUE
Could it be the steering wheel lock gas gone bad? Any diagrams for it?
Tuesday, June 4th, 2019 AT 11:04 AM
KEN
Here is what I found let me know if you need more. Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.
Tuesday, June 4th, 2019 AT 12:02 PM
IVAN AZCUE
Hi Ken, I got the steering wheel off and when I remove the clock spring I realize the clock Spring does not rotate and fact it only moves slightly left and slightly right. Does that mean my clock spring is bad and could that be the issue? With the clock spring removed could I put the steering wheel back in turn the key on and see if the steering wheel works or is that a no no?
Friday, June 14th, 2019 AT 3:32 PM
KEN
Yep, it sounds like it is bad. I would get a new unit and install it. You can try installing the steering wheel to see what happens but you will have warning lights on for the airbag, horn wont work etc.
Monday, June 17th, 2019 AT 10:56 AM