Front brake pad and rotor replacement instructions please?

J_MEDINA24
  • 2019 HONDA ACCORD
  • TURBO
My brakes will sometime screech. Thought it was dirt so I used a power washer but it continued doing it the next day. It’s an on and off type of thing. It’ll start screeching the moment I hit a bump, pot hole, or train tracks. It’s only on the driver side. Should I replace the pads and disks can you help?
Monday, November 2nd, 2020 AT 6:16 PM

KASEKENNY1
I think that would be the most likely correction. Here is a guide that will help with this:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-and-rotors-fwd

Plus here is a video on a Civic which is pretty similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrWXRdD2ug

Below is the process from the manual that will help with getting them replaced.
Thursday, April 8th, 2021 AT 3:20 PM
TDECEUSTER
  • 2013 HONDA ACCORD
I ll start it off with I have done many brake and rotor jobs. My mom brought her car to mechanic about a month ago and he did brakes and rotors. All new. I looked yesterday and Her rear left brake pad Was down to the metal backing plate. I had her bring it back to the mechanic and he saying that the rear caliper is now shot and the piston stuck (which I know happens when a brake pad depletes) he is having my mom pay for it. Can a brake pad just deplete like that? Shouldn t this have been known before turning the piston back in when switching the new brake pads? Can I just replace them myself Thank you for any advice in advanced!
Friday, April 9th, 2021 AT 10:51 AM (Merged)
KASEKENNY1
Hi,

These questions are always the hardest because everything you are saying is possible. Maybe they didn't change the parts or maybe they didn't notice the frozen caliper.

However, assuming they did change the pads and it is now worn out it would be due to a stuck caliper. It is hard to say that someone should have found that but it is something that should be checked by squeezing the piston back in and making sure it moves freely.

Again, from this information it is hard to know if they did something wrong or not. Sorry I can't be more definitive.
KASEKENNY1
Here is a guide that will help with this in replacing the brakes and a caliper if that proves out to be the issue:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-caliper-replacement

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-bleed-or-flush-a-car-brake-system

Below you will find the process from the manual on how to replace the pads again and the caliper if that is needed. Please run through this material and let us know if you have other questions. Thanks
DOKTOR242
  • 2012 HONDA ACCORD
Okay so here's the situation. On my way out of the car I out some things down to get them all in my bag. I left the driveway and noticed the brakes were grinding can you help me please?
Friday, April 9th, 2021 AT 10:52 AM (Merged)
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Here is the information you requested. This is a tutorial showing what is involved on how to change front brake pads and brake rotors:

I've attached picture steps below on how to change the front brake pads and rotors on your car. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
MARMAS
  • 2011 HONDA ACCORD
Went to NTB to have my front brakes checked. I was told that I had 4mm left and needed to replace front pads and rotors. I was quoted $660.00. Is this reasonable? I want to do the job myself.
KASEKENNY1
Here is a guide and a video on how to replace these brakes:

Below is the process from the manual that will help with this. Please let us know if you have other questions. Thanks
R_HIDAJAT
  • 2008 HONDA ACCORD
Hi I would like to ask about the braking pulsations recently. It seeemed that I've just changed my brake rotors but the pulsations keeps coming up after a 15-20 minutes drive on the highway when I brake. I changed it like 2 weeks ago. Is it still considered to be normal?
FREEMBA
Does your ABS (anti-lock brakes) of TCS (traction control system) lights come on? Let the shop that did the work know about the pulsation, have them to check the RUNOUT on the new disc that they installed. If they find the problem and correct it, ask they to use a torque wrench to tighten your wheels instead of the air impact. Over tightening wheels can warp a brake rotor. Here is how to do the rotor job correctly in the diagrams below.
PATALBO
  • 2003 HONDA ACCORD
Are the front rotors removable by hand or pressed on?
Friday, April 9th, 2021 AT 10:53 AM (Merged)
ZACKMAN
Once the 2 holding screws are out, you should be able to remove the rotors by hand. If they are tight, they are rusted. Spray some penetrating catalyst (such as PB Blaster - not WD40) liberally in the wheel bolt holes. Wait a few minutes and try again. You may want to tap the rotor using soft hammer.
JVPRAZAK
  • 2003 HONDA ACCORD
I was replacing brake pads on front disks and noticed the rubber boot around the outside of the caliper has a hole in it. Is that simply a dust cover that I don't need to worry about, or is it something I need to replace? Any idea what it takes to replace it?
KHLOW2008
Hi jvprazak,

This might look simple but is a very important part of the caliper system.

A broken dust cover will allow water and dirt to get to the slider bolts and jam it up in time. It will cause inefficient braking and unbalanced pads wear.

Get the repair kit and replace it, should not cost much. Remember to clean and lubricate the slider bolts with appropriate grease, should come together with the pack.
FUZZBRAIN
  • 2003 HONDA ACCORD
I need instructions on how to change the front brake pads?
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Here is the information you requested. This is a tutorial for you to view on how to change front brake pads:

I've attached picture steps below on how to change the front brake pads on your car. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
IDOTHRIVE
  • 2002 HONDA ACCORD
Rear brake sensor activated. Mechanic says front pads need replacing. This after 58,000 (front) and 25,000 (rear) miles. Used Honda pads last repair. Brake pedal is not sound right?
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

I've attached a tutorial for you to view showing how to replace the front pads and rotors.

I've attached picture steps below on how to replace the front brake pads on your car. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
GUYBOYAJIAN
  • 2001 HONDA ACCORD
I was helping my nephew do a brake job on his Honda Accord. We noticed that there were two phiilip head screws that hold the rotor onto this plate. Who ever owned this car before stripped the screws. We had to go buy an easy out tool. We got three out of the four screws. The one screw we had to drill out which we messed up the threads. My questions are. Do we have to put 2 screws in or is one fine? If we do have to put both screws in on each side can we tap the one we messed up? Can I purchase the part that we messed up? Is this piece easy to take off?

Please help!
Guy
Friday, April 9th, 2021 AT 10:54 AM (Merged)
KHLOW2008
Hi Guy,

The 2 tapered screws are for holding the rotor in place. You can tap and rethread the messed up bolt but make sure you don't realign the original bolt hole. My personal view is one or 2 screws does not matter as I have seen many without any at all. Most Toyota don't use it. The wheel lug nuts will take care of it for you. If you wish to replace the part, it is the hub assy and can be quite costly as the wheel bearing needs to be replaced as well.

Sponsored links