Rear brake hub removal

TIM BEASON
  • 1988 CHRYSLER NEW YORKER
Car listed above is the Landau model. It has front disc and rear hub brake system. I do not have any experience servicing this small of drum brakes and I am not sure as to how to go about removing the drum. Appreciate any tips or advice on the subject. Thank you.
Monday, June 29th, 2020 AT 5:50 PM

You have to remove the wheel bearings, just like on the older rear-wheel-drive cars' front wheels. The rear drum and hub are indeed two separate pieces, but they are held together by the splines on the wheel studs. Those studs are pressed in and hold the hub and drum together tight enough to allow the drum to be machined on the brake lathe that way.

Once the axle nut is removed, wrap the edge of the drum to bounce the outer bearing into your hand, or at least push it out far enough that you can grab it. At that point it is fairly common for the drum to refuse to come off due to a ring of rust build-up on the edge of the braking surface. You may need the help of a small pry bar to convince the drum to come off. As you work at it, that rust will gradually break off, then the drum can be forced off.
+1
Monday, June 29th, 2020 AT 6:35 PM
TIM BEASON
Okay, thank you! I didn't want to get too far in to it and not have what's needed, especially in a small town with one parts store that never seems to have what I need in stock, haha. Really appreciate the insight!
Monday, June 29th, 2020 AT 6:59 PM
Holler back with your progress. I don't remember about your model, but the K-car models used a non-servo rear drum brake meaning it had a fixed anchor at the bottom instead of the movable anchor with star wheel adjuster. As such, the front and rear shoes were the same. To save money, if the front shoe wasn't worn down to metal, you could switch the front and rear shoes to get double the life.
Monday, June 29th, 2020 AT 7:36 PM
TIM BEASON
I definitely will. I'll be tearing into it when I get off of work tomorrow. Thanks again.
Monday, June 29th, 2020 AT 10:53 PM
TIM BEASON
Ive finally got the time to finish this project but now I'm pretty sure the wheel cylinders need replaced as well. There are two different bore sizes and I'm not sure how to determine which one I need. Any insight?
Sunday, July 12th, 2020 AT 10:05 AM

Sponsored links