Rattle on deceleration

KAGRANT
  • 2007 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
Tonight my truck started making a rattle noise underneath cab area (?) Only when letting off the gas. The first time it happened it sounded just like a rock had been kicked up and bounced off the underside of the truck. I can definitely reproduce the sound every time I let off the gas. It really does not seem to have any effect on performance of engine but it is very noticeable at any speed whenever I let off the accelerator. It lasts maybe three to five seconds and goes away.
Tuesday, June 12th, 2018 AT 8:32 PM

HEYMAN1104
To me, it sounds like your universal joint is going bad. Very common with rear wheel drive and four wheel drive vehicles. Here is an informational guide: https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-u-joints-work

Read the guide and check the joint. Let us know what you find.
Wednesday, June 13th, 2018 AT 3:42 AM
KAGRANT
I took the truck to the garage and had the mechanic have a look. He said it sounds like a heat shield issue. Put it on the lift a said there is a decorative clamp on the exhaust that was making the noise so it was removed. I did not hear anything leaving the shop so I thought yeah! I just drive down the highway and I have heard the noise twice now again. It definitely sounds like something rattling but the mechanic said the u-joint would make more of a clunk noise and create a vibration as well as be noticeable switching gears, which is not the case. Do you think it is still a heat shield and they just did not look past the loose clamp?
Wednesday, June 13th, 2018 AT 9:53 AM
KAGRANT
Called the shop and let them know the noise is still there and asked if they looked any further than the clamp since they knew I was about to go out of town. I was told that very likely he saw the clamp and just assumed that was the issue, so they want to check it out again tomorrow. Hmm.
Any ideas?
Wednesday, June 13th, 2018 AT 1:23 PM
HEYMAN1104
I would say let them look at it again. A loose heat shield could cause a tin can type of rattle sound. The way I figure, you already paid for them to look at it, so if they are going to do it again for free, then definitely do that.
Thursday, June 14th, 2018 AT 5:21 AM