Power steering does not work at all speeds

HATEM AL-KAHWAJI
  • 2008 FORD ESCAPE
  • AWD
Loss of power steering at all speeds
Code:b2278 only
Should I change the torque sensor " OEM part is around 200 and DIY" or install a used steering column with a mechanic. Part 250 plus labor".

Or what?
Sunday, December 18th, 2016 AT 12:45 PM

STEVE W.
There was a recall on these. Have a dealer run your VIN number to see if your vehicle was on the list. The repair was to replace the torque sensor assembly if it had lost power assist and only had the P2278 code.
Sunday, December 18th, 2016 AT 12:53 PM
HATEM AL-KAHWAJI
I did this recall six months or more ago. The car, at that time, did not show any code or have any problem. They just updated the software or something and did not change any. I asked Ford dealer if my car still eligible for more work on this issue. They said the recall did already end.
Sunday, December 18th, 2016 AT 1:09 PM
STEVE W.
If they did not see a code at that time, they would not replace the sensor. Just adjust the software to allow the sensor more leeway before it would set the code.
Now that you actually have the code that would have caused them to replace the sensor, the recall does not apply.
You might be able to get some assistance if you go over the local dealer and contact Ford directly about it. Sometimes they do a goodwill repair. Hard to say, but it only takes a call or E-Mail to the customer address/number on their web site to find out.

Otherwise it is still a bad sensor that needs to be replaced.
Sunday, December 18th, 2016 AT 3:18 PM
HATEM AL-KAHWAJI
Thank you Steve. I am going to give them a call and update.
Monday, December 19th, 2016 AT 10:22 AM
STEVE W.
Call them, explain that you followed the recall and now the light is on with that code. Because it was/is a recall item they generally do the right thing. Not always but it never hurts to try.
Monday, December 19th, 2016 AT 12:28 PM