The fuel smell is probably normal if your exhaust runs straight out of the rear.
I started kicking mine out of the side behind my rear driver's wheel years ago to eliminate what you are experiencing now (me and my passengers weren't fond of the smell either) See pics 1 and 2.
Have you added anything lately, around the time of the "tugging"?
Let's try to isolate this issue. Answer these questions please.
1) Have you tuned your rig using instruments- timing light and a dwell/ tach or vacuum gauge? Is it possible it has not been tuned correctly? See pic 3.
2) Have you been swapping jets around in your carb?
3) How long has it been "tugging"?
4) When do you notice it - during acceleration? Any speed? At the end of "winding up/ out"
5) Is it kind of like a hesitation, like when try to go and your carburetor is still cold and your Jeep is not nowhere near operating temperature? (Like it spits)
6) Is it a constant problem, does it go away (if so, when?), How often does this occur? (Seconds/ minutes/ after it a operating temperature?
Can you remove your breather and send me really good full pics of your engine, left side/ right side/ top.
Images (Click to enlarge)
Wednesday, January 23rd, 2019 AT 6:56 PM