CAR "STALLING"

1994 Pontiac Trans Am

jdmora

July, 25, 2010 AT 7:54 PM

1994 Pontiac Trans Am V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 141000 miles

While traveling at the speeds of usually 10-25mph my car willk randomly " stall" out for a second then turn back on. RPMs drop but the battery gauge doesnt move. This happens randomly but is starting to happen more often now. After this happens the service engine soon light will come on and stay on for a couple of miniutes then turn off until it happens again.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

July, 25, 2010 AT 8:58 PM

Check engine light coming on

Have the computer scanned for code/s-you have a problem within the engine management system that caused the CEL to turn on-This is your starting point of diagnosis, finding out what's going on

jdmora

July, 26, 2010 AT 8:31 PM

Ok so I got the code scanner from advanced and turn the key over. All lights came on and stayed. I turned it off, plugged in the scanner and switched it to engine. Then I turned the key over with out start the car and the Service engine light doesnt come on or blink. Could it needing a tune up possibly be the problem?

XtremeModifier

October, 19, 2010 AT 4:48 PM

How does it idle? Run normal otherwise (no noticeable lunging/bucking)? If it's operation is relatively normal other than this, we can throw out the whole idea of plugs/wires (tends to be very consistant issues resulting from this, not occasional, and causes rough idle/running). Opti is likely not the cause either, as that also tends to be consistent issues that arise as symptoms, not occasional.

Does it typically happen when going over bumps/rough road patches? Sometimes a loose cable will cause those problems.

Next thing: when signals (turn signals. Oddly they seem to draw a LOT of current on T/A's) are turned on, do you notice the voltage gauge moving a lot (say, more than 2-3V)?

I had a similar problem with my T/A, turns out the battery cables were loose (this was just a couple days after buying the car) and when I went over bumps, it stalled out, then (still in gear. T56 6-speed BWA) a second or two later, came back. Could also possibly be the cables to/from the alternator not tightened down all the way, and it's losing contact there.

Next thing to check (if performing repairs yourself) is all the grounds/connections. It's easy work, just a wire brush, towel you don't mind getting greasy, a few wrenches and a little time. After 16yrs, cables rust, and you'd be surprised how much that can hurt the performance.

Other than that, I really don't know what to say. It's most likely going to be one of those things " you just have to be there" to diagnose. I've seen it all, from a rat in the exhaust of a '73 nova causing it to stall (too much backpressure) to a weird handling issue turning out to be an anti-roll bar that snapped in at least 5 places (several sections were missing!)