2002 Pontiac Sunfire Overheating

SKILLOVERSTR
  • 2002 PONTIAC SUNFIRE

Engine Cooling problem
2002 Pontiac Sunfire 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 161000 miles

Hi, I just bought a 2002 Sunfire and it turns out that it has an engine overheating problem. A coupple of days ago I pulled into my driveway and the cooling system liquid suddenly stated to drip out from underneath, I thought it was a leak but I put in more cooling liquid in it to see if that was the problem. Then I drove it some more and the leaking problem stopped, but now the car tells me that the engine is overheating by just driving short distances. I was told that the car got a new water pump so I dont know if that might be the problem. I have read that some rapairs for an overheating problem can cost $500+ (IF THEY FIND WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT) and I honestly dont have the money for that, I am a university student and I just need a working vehicle to get me to school. I wanna know if the effort to spend 500 bucks or more is worth it or should I just take it to like a dealer or something and get something that works.

Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 9:16 AM

WRENCHTECH

I hate to tell you but an overheating issue can be a lot worse than that.

The first thing that needs to be done is get the system completely filled and pressure tested to look for leaks. I suspect that previous overheating problems may have led to a blown head gasket which can be very expensive. You need to get to the bottom of the problem now before the head gasket becomes even more likely.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 9:47 AM