OVERHEATING

1998 Pontiac Sunfire

will9000

April, 29, 2007 AT 8:35 PM

Well I am stumped. I have a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire (2.2L) that is overheating. Here is a list of new parts, Radiator, Head, Head gasket, Water pump, Thermostat, and Temperature Sending Unit. And I have bled the system 3 times. The only thing NOT new is the hoses. It's weird because the car will idle all day long at normal temp, but when I take even a short drive the temp starts rising almost instantly. Even with the gauge reading almost in the yellow, the coolant in the reservoir isn't bubbling, but it is hot. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks,
Will

Musicluvr161

August, 5, 2007 AT 8:34 PM

I'm having a similar problem with my 98 sunfire. I've been seeing things recently that is saying that it might possibly be one of two things. Either a blown head gasket or a cracked head. You might want to have those checked.

aball03

November, 21, 2010 AT 10:47 PM

I had all of these things also replaced about a year ago on my 98 sunfire, and had taken it back to the shop a dozen times. In the end, after replacing everything you listed above, including the thermostat twice, they ended up replacing the thermostat a third time and it worked.

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage