WONT START

1991 Pontiac Sunbird

joshuasdad

May, 27, 2008 AT 1:04 PM

1991 Pontiac Sunbird 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

I have a 91 sunbird with a 3.1l engine. The car has sat for a about 1 year. When I tried to start it the other day it cranks over fine and it seems to be getting fuel. It has started once or twice but runs rough. When cranking and you let off the starter you hear the injectors still activating. Does any one have any thoughts Thanks for any help.

legitimate007

May, 27, 2008 AT 1:22 PM

With a car that has been sittin that long. Things can deteriiorate just from sitting. I would check my spark, check my fuel pressure, make sure that the pump is comming on, and check my map sensor. Then we can take it from there. Do those things and then get back to me. In case you dont' know how to go about checking the pressure and spark, i'll send you a couple of videos that my bosses, have come up with they are excellent quick and to the point. Hold tight and check your email

legitimate007

May, 27, 2008 AT 1:23 PM

This one here is for your ignition and spark:D

http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_engine_ignition_system.htm

legitimate007

May, 27, 2008 AT 1:25 PM

And this one here is for your fuel system pressure.

http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_fuel_injection_pressure.htm

joshuasdad

May, 28, 2008 AT 11:18 AM

I have spark and fuel pressure. What I don't understand is why does it sound like the injectors are firing with the key on and the engine not running. I have gotten the car to start a couple of times and it seems to idle smooth but then dies.

legitimate007

May, 28, 2008 AT 8:33 PM

I think that you may have a problem in the switch then. It may have to be replaced

kjeude

March, 2, 2009 AT 12:23 PM

I have the same problem with my 91. When you say switch, which switch are you refering to?

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe