CAR WHINE

2005 Pontiac GTO

AnthonyFalco

June, 3, 2010 AT 11:32 PM

2005 Pontiac GTO V8 Manual 45,000 miles

I have a 2005 Pontiac GTO with about 45k miles on it. I purchased the car about 5 months ago. It does have many modifications to it, and the car runs perfect. Within the last month though, I have been hearing a very loud whining noise when I accelerate. It almost sounds like a supercharger, even though I do not have one. The whine occurs when accelerating from first through third gear, and seems to stop from fourth to sixth. It does whine when I rev the engine in neutral and it does whine when reversing. Like I said, it is a very loud and distinct noise. Do you know what could be the cause of this and how to fix it?

hmac300

October, 9, 2010 AT 6:57 PM

The whine in reverse will never go away, due to the gears in reverse being straight cut not helical. The whine may be a bearing starting to go. Other than realy being able to hear it which we can't you need to let a pro give a diagnosis. Go to a transmission shop.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro