GASOLINE

1969 Pontiac GTO

Boogsox

April, 19, 2011 AT 8:38 PM

I've got an older musclecar that due to family reasons has been in storage for three years. I'm concerned about the old gas as I filled the tank every year when putting it away to prevent rust in the tank. Is there anyway to revive old gas? The prospect of having to drain and dispose of 30 gallons of gas doesn't look great. Thanks, Dean Kamloops BC

fixitmr

April, 19, 2011 AT 8:47 PM

The only way I have done this is not with full tank, by adding more fresh gas. If you have electric pump on car you could trigger that to run and empty it. Or maybe same thing done with external thru filler pipe?

caradiodoc

April, 19, 2011 AT 9:16 PM

Also, I have an '80 Volare with 45,000 miles and a '93 Dynasty with 4,100 miles. As you can see, they don't get driven much. The gas in the Volare is over five years old and it runs fine. I can't remember the last time I put gas in my Dynasty but it hasn't been licensed for over 15 years. It still runs fine but I have to put a new battery in it each time I want to start it.

You might find your car runs fine on that old gas. If it doesn't, run as much out as possible before adding new gas, otherwise a little bit of new gas will just get diluted and it will take a lot longer to get all the old stuff out.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Camaro
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet